• View on map
    Rating Key

    ***** Outstanding
    **** Excellent
    *** Good
    ** Quite interesting
    * Not very interesting but worthy of inclusion

    Open

    5 Open for long periods, or key readily available
    4 May be open for long periods, but best to check beforehand
    3 Uncertain opening times
    2 Closed for all or most of the time other than for services
    1 Closed at all times

Site: St Leonard
Denomination: Church of England
Type: Church
Associated Trust: Churches Conservation Trust
Period: 16th Century, 17th Century

Features: A rare church for its period , Benches, Chancel area, Glass, Piscina and credence, Plinths, Roofs, Stone carvings, Windows

Location: 6 miles NNE of Blackburn, N of the A59 near the junction with the A666 (follow signs to Old Langho)

Opening Times: Keyholder nearby


Description:

St Leonard's was built in 1557 in a period when few new churches appeared. Much of the stonework, including carvings, windows, plinths, piscina and credence, is of high quality and almost certainly came from the recently dissolved nearby Whalley Abbey, as did the main roof timbers and fragmentary medieval glass in the chancel. There is also an exceptional set of 17th-century bench ends, with carved dates and initials.

Address: Old Langho, Lancashire, BB6 8AW
Phone Number: 020 7213 0673

Rating: ***

Open: 5

Website: www.visitchurches.org.uk